Monday, January 28, 2013

The World's Greatest Artist

My high school art teacher, and dormitory dean, once told me that the world's greatest artist will most likely never know that they possess the talent for art, and therefore, the world will never know about them. He said this after a few days of my attending class, when I was learning pencil sketching, to outline an oil painting I was going to be working on. I had grown up believing that I didn't possess the qualities of a good artist, and therefore would never succeed in that field. I was wrong. 3 class periods into the semester, I discovered that with a little instruction and practice, I could actually visually sketch a picture I had up on my computer screen, without breaking it down into a 100x100 grid.

Enough about my own art skill, I want to get down to the point of it all. This principle states that you don't know, if you don't try. Apply a bit of moral and common sense, and you've got a good reason to try out a few things that you never would have tried out. I, for one, know that I am horrible at reading piano music. How do I know? I took lessons for 3 years, and eventually gave up the reading method. Instead, I approached the same task by ear. I do much better. But, when I thought I was horrible at art, I tried it out and found out that is not the case. Today I use those skills, and continue to learn them, because I attempted what I thought was not possible. I do graphics design, I do photography, and I write. All of these are creative arts that I would not have known were at my fingertips had I not tried.

By the way, you can visit my art teacher's website, just click on the word teacher at the beginning of the first paragraph, or click here.

God Bless,

Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment